Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The End Has Come...It's Time to Say Goodbye..... 

(Final Reflection)

This semester went by so quickly. I can’t believe my Research in Social Studies methods class has come to an end. It seems just like yesterday the class had just begun, and I was nervous to see what the course would bring. Now as I look back, I can really say it was quite a journey, and a true learning experience. I have learned so much, and I really value what I have learned.
            Throughout the course Dr. Smirnova always challenged us with different assignments, tasks, and even with our fieldwork experience. Even though at times some of the work was a challenge, I now realized the reason for it was to enhance our learning. Everything we learned from the different instruction lesson plans, SmartBoard, PREZI, cooperative learning, jigsaw, blogger, unit planning, micro teaching, current news articles in the classroom, and pbworks was Dr.Smrionva’s way of molding us to become the right teachers for the future learners. Overall my learning experience in the course was very positive. There were times I felt overwhelmed especially with designing the unit plan, but I stayed positive and hung in there. We were given so many useful tools and types of instruction strategies.
In our fieldwork experience, Dr.Smirnova gave us the task to work in groups and challenged us to design our own unit plan. As part of the assignment for our unit plan, we were also to teach one direct instruction lesson plan and one inquiry lesson plan to the 5th graders at Bishop Dunn. My group was able to design two very good lesson plans. The one lesson I felt my group was very successful creating was the inquiry lesson. We designed our lesson on the idea of a scavenger hunt, and were able to give the 5th graders a worthwhile learning experience they really enjoyed. Most importantly as they were having fun, they were engaging in learning and reviewing the major concepts or facts about significant historical figures in early America. Another significant successful learning outcome was jigsaw. I never before really understood the concept of jigsaw, but after given the task to complete a jigsaw activity I now realize its true value. In jigsaw students are each a piece to completing a puzzle and I think its wonderful how each student’s role is important to completing an ending result.
Reflecting back on the course I can’t say I have suffered any loses. What I can say is that I have gained a significant amount of useful and beneficial knowledge. The knowledge and skills I was taught were important skills I needed to become the teacher students in the future need. I was given the skills to enhance student learning, and skills to engage them in meaningful and purposeful instruction. Having learned about PREZI, SmartBoard, teaching strategies, micro teaching, jigsaw, and cooperative learning are all tools I can include in my teaching toolbox to use for my own classroom one day.
I have really grown as an individual throughout the course. In the beginning of the course I was really nervous and wondered if I would be overwhelmed with the information and new tools Dr. Smirnova would be teaching us.  What I have found is that I am no longer that individual wondering how to use different tools to engage students. I now have the tools and skills to enhance student learning. Most importantly I have learned ways to provide instruction other then the commonly used instruction of direct. Even when I use direct instruction, I know I can still incorporate students into the lesson by engaging them in questions using SmartBoard and giving them a fun matching activity using vortex. I have also learned inquiry and cooperative learning are great tools to incorporate in the classroom. I have learned it is ok to use these types of learning tools. From my experience in fieldwork and from my class discussions, I have learned it is important for students to engage in their own learning. Using hands on activities, working in groups, exploring, and doing their own research is a great way for them to grow as learners. Most importantly students use their critical thinking and problem solving skills. Learning through inquiry and cooperative learning allows students to make their own understanding of learning, and therefore in return learning becomes more meaningful for them. This course has really shape me to realize what kind of teacher I want to be. I want to be the teacher students really enjoy learning from. I want them to excel in learning, and I want their learning to include all types of diverse learning methods.
Social studies from my own experience in school had always been a dull subject. From what I can remember it was a subject that had a lot of memorization of facts and terms. I don’t ever what my students to feel the same way while they are in my class. I want them to have an enjoyable learning experience that they can explore, make their own realizations, and one that they find purposeful. I plan on making sure I include all students in my lessons. I want them to be involved even when I teach direct instruction. I plan to incorporate hands on activities that students can really learn from. I also plan on using cooperative groups in the classroom. I believe with cooperative learning students learn from one another, share ideas, and form new ideas. 

In my ideal social studies classroom, I would create a room that looks like a room from the past. I would like to have artifacts, encouraging posters, timelines, and I would make sure to put students’ desks together in groups. I want my social studies classroom to be an envirnoment students feel safe, comfortable, and one they can grow in. I want the classroom to be an area that students can share ideas, explore, investigate, create meaning of their own understanding, apply what they learned to meaningful activities, and collaborate with other peers.
I have really learned so much from the course. This course has really helped me to shape my ideas about teaching, and what is important to incorporate in the classroom in order for students to excel.  I want to be the best teacher I can be, and this course has really instilled in me to believe I can!
Remember: 
Social Studies learning CAN BE FUN!! It is up to you the teacher to make it a worthwhile learning experience for your students!! The CHANGE BEGINS WITH YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment