My Teaching Social Studies Philosophy
INTASC Standard
Standard 9 - REFLECTION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The teacher is a reflective practitioner who continually evaluates the effects of his/her choices and actions on others (students, parents, and other professionals in the learning community) and who actively seeks out opportunities to grow professionally.
Social Studies Philosophy Statements:
· I want to create a positive environment where my students attain meaningful and purposeful instruction.
· I want to be the best teacher I can be by creating a classroom that is highly collaborative, interactive, safe, and open.
· I want my students to learn the importance of learning various social studies disciples: economics, civics, geography, and history.
· I want my students to be involved in purposeful activities and encouraging discussions.
· I want my students to develop a rich understanding of the past, present, and future.
· I want my students to be the best they can be.
Overall this whole course has really helped me to develop my social studies philosophy. The course in general has helped shaped my ideas about social studies. Social studies doesn't have to be boring, it can be exciting, and it's all on how the teacher makes the course. Many tasks and assignments throughout the course have contributed in shaping my view on social studies. The fieldwork especially helped me build my social studies philosophy. Being able to engage students and watch them learn and explore with the “Discovery Hunt” was amazing! Social studies can be an enjoyable learning experience if the teacher creates a highly collaborative, interactive, and safe environment. Social studies can be a subject that allows students to explore and grow. Social studies is a world of its own. and if students are given the right tools, they will develop a rich understanding of the past, present, and future.
I can really say I have learned a lot through my journey in Research in Teaching Social studies course. The course has really helped me grow as an individual, and has helped me acquire the necessary skills I believe will help me to become a better educator one day. Surprisingly, I can't believe how much I was able to learn and acquire with fieldwork, and from Dr. Smirnova. The fieldwork and jigsaw we did during the semester helped contribute to my interest in social studies. Being able to witness students participate in such activities helped me to understand and see social studies in another light. This course has really inspired me to always try to be the best teacher I can be, and always give my students the best. Focusing on these philosophy statements will help me to accomplish my future goals and desires as a teacher. I know social studies can be a boring subject for many students, but I promise to make the best out of social studies. Most importantly I promise to give my students an interesting learning environment where they can excel in learning, and be the best little historians they can be.

No comments:
Post a Comment