Tuesday, December 6, 2011

 Unit Plan Reflection

Wow! The Unit Plan was a challenge! I think the hardest part was coming up with ideas that we all liked and worked for all my group members to use. Once we had our ideas down, the process became smoother.
The best part I really enjoyed from our unit plan was designing and teaching the inquiry lesson. Our inquiry lesson was a scavenger hunt which we called “Discovery Hunt”. The students were required to use a map to locate their clues. Once they found their clues, they were then to use critical thinking to decide which historical figure the clues represented. At the end, students presented their clues and the class was to decide which historical figure the clues represented. This lesson was my favorite part of the unit plan because I was given the opportunity to see one of my lessons make students smile while engaged in learning. This actually may have been one of the greatest feelings ever. I would definitely have to say this lesson was one of the most successful parts of our unit plan.
After creating our two main lessons, it was time to incorporate the four activities. Brainstorming, sharing ideas, and using internet sources we were able to design our activities. Since our activities were designed to be short, we made sure to include ways to hook students to the beginning of our activities.  We used a word search, questions, a video clip, and a cross word puzzle. We felt these were really great tools to engage students to the start of the lessons.
After completing our unit plan we felt very good about ourselves. We were excited about what we created, and the hard work we put in creating our unit. Currently, we are working hard on putting our unit plan together in pbworks. I can’t wait to see the ending result. It’s going to look great!
The unit plan, though it was a difficult challenge to complete, it was a good assignment. I never before designed a unit plan. Since I am student teaching next semester, I really value what I have learned from the unit. I plan on using the same skills I acquired while learning how to design this unit plan with my future unit plans as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment